Traducere // Translate

Spirit turns into music, music turns into spirit. At some scale.

https://JazzBluesNews.Space

Post Views: 18,028
Jazz interview with jazz trumpeter Markus Stockhausen (Germany). An interview by email in writing. 
JazzBluesNews.Space: – First let’s start with where you grew up, and what got you interested in music?
Markus Stockhausen: – I grew up in Cologne mostly in my mother’s house. When I was 6 years my parents separated. Often we went to my father’s concerts, it felt normal to me to hear his cosmic sounds. At the age of ten I joined a specialized music high school, playing piano and later trumpet. We had regular lessons in ear training, theory, choir etc. This was extremely helpful for my later career. We founded a school rock band and I participated in all ensembles available, like brass quintet, big band, symphony band etc.
JBN.S: – How did your sound evolve over time? What did you do to find and develop your sound?
I searched a lot with mouthpieces and different trumpets, sometimes getting crazy about all the choices and differences. But it helped me molding my sound. Also recording often was a good mirror. I still love recording to create the „ideal“ sound. Today, playing acoustic I use different equipment (lighter) than playing with a microphone. In large spaces I need heavier instruments.
JBN.S: – What practice routine or exercise have you developed to maintain and improve your current musical ability especially pertaining to rhythm? 
I still practice about two hours every day (with the trumpet it is absolutely neecessary), warming up a bit and then mostly improvising freely, realizing my immediate ideas. Sometimes I play with metronome to test my timing. But the best practice are regular concerts. This is when I make the most progress, on stage.
JBN.S: – Which harmonies and harmonic patterns do you prefer now?
Well, listen to my last recordings and you know: ALBA with Florian Weber (on ECM), FAR INTO THE STARS with Quadrivium (on Sony / OKeh), ETERNAL VOYAGE live (also on Sony / OKeh). I don’t like too complicted harmonies or rhythms, I must be able to really feel them.
JBN.S: – What do you love most about your new album 2018: ETERNAL VOYAGE live, how it was formed and what you are working on today. 
I love the sounds of the other musicians, the natural flow of the music, but read the liner notes … I put them below *.
My next project is WILD LIFE, a beautiful live viedo made by WDR / ARTE -tv is already online on youtube, and a CD with new material with the same ensemble will come out in 2019 also on Sony/OKeh.
Besides, I give many seminars combining music and spirituality. Healing through music is possible, especially healing the mind, which then effects the body also. My life is complex, many different challenges, but all beautiful situations. Only the travelling sometimes is too strenuous.

JBN.S: – What’s the balance in music between intellect and soul?
That’s different for everybody. Intellectual people love intellectual music, heart-oriented people prefer simpler, more emotional music. The ideal is in between, the golden middle way. I try to find a got balance in this, but it is of course subjective. Each soul needs different food…
JBN.S: – Please any memories from gigs, jams, open acts and studio sessions which you’d like to share with us?

Uff, so many …CD recording in Oslo for KARTA (ECM, 2000): the first time ever I played with Terje Rypdal, and immediately recording. Before recording the prepared compositions, I asked everybody to improvise intuitively, to arrive at something special, beyond imagination and mind. We did it for 90 minutes, out of which later we extracted 7 pieces. A fantastic experience of flow. Similarly this year with WILD LIFE, we recorded 2 days and then played the concert, which is on youtube. No words were spoken before about the music. Just intense listening and using our intuition – which of course includes all the musical experiences each of the musician ever made.
JBN.S: – How can we get young people interested in jazz when most of the standard tunes are half a century old?
Jazz today is a broad term encompassing all sorts of music. I guess the comon thread is the arte of improvisation. The standart tunes you refer to are indeed outdated – for me at least. They may be a point of departure for students, but then I encourage everybody to compose their own music as soon as possible and to propose something really original to the world. We don’t need repetitions of what has been done already excellent, we need a creative and curious spirit.
JBN.S: – John Coltrane said that music was his spirit. How do you understand the spirit and the meaning of life?
Big question. If by spirit you mean the source of life, it manifests differently in each of us. For me also music is the most fulfilling activity I can imagine, it gives me the greatest satisfaction, and I think of all things I can do it best. But the Spirit sustains all life in all forms, whatever man /women feels inspired to do. I short, the meaning of life for me is to grow in our consciousness and in our ability to express ourselves, and to love.
God for me is the Source of all life, and the reason for Life is Love, Beauty and Joy.
Long ago I wrote a poem:
Rejoice (1989)
The time has come
that you shall remember
who you are.
Forever have you been
and shall eternally be.
You have come
to feel the joy of creation,
to see its beauty
and infinitely love
all there is.
For all is thyself
in myriad forms.
Each moment you create yourself
and a thousand worlds around.
Your being is bliss,
perfection and light.
Rejoice my friend,
Rejoice
JBN.S: – If you could change one thing in the musical world and it would become a reality, what would that be?
Enough concerts and income for all musicians. It is painful to see how many musicians are unable to make a living from their music.
JBN.S: – Who do you find yourself listening to these days?
Mostly CDs of musicians I meet at concerts or festivals, CDs they give to me.
JBN.S: – Let’s take a trip with a time machine, so where and why would you really wanna go?
The here and now is fine for me. Life is ever changing and the total wisdom of the Absolute is far more intelligent than my personal, limited consciousness. So I am glad to be here and now, follow my inspirations, meet my challenges and enjoy life.
JBN.S: – Which changes would you like to see in todays world?
An important question … I suggest just a few points for everybody:
  • Respect each other no matter what religion, nationality, race etc., humans respecting humans. We all have so much more in common than what makes us different – we all want to have enjoyable lives, shelter, enough healthy food, education for our children etc.
  • Stop of all wars, stop of all weapon making, which in the end always kill somebody. Immediate abolishment of all atomic bombs.
  • Each human being should feel responsible for the whole world, regarding nature, food, resources, pure water, energy, waste etc. We all inhabit one planet and we have to share it just and wisely.
  • Every child should already be tought how many people we are on earth and that more than 7 billion people do not make life easier on this planet, rather less would be better. We all should be conscious about this fact, especially when engaging in large families.
  • A moment of reflection, introspection every day would abolish many problems, prohibiting wrong actions.
Interview by Simon Sargsyan
Картинки по запросу Markus Stockhausen

Niciun comentariu: